Battery not giving enough power or air pass?

Discussion of all V4L hardware including Batteries, Passthroughs, Chargers, etc.

Postby LadyStrick9 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks so much Max. I'm proof that you can ruin batteries either by not cleaning them right or cleaning them TOO aggressively. Pfffft. LOL

Lady
[color="#000000"]"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'Woo Hoo! What a Ride!'"[/color]
LadyStrick9

Postby dohsma » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:55 pm

Max Kaslick wrote:To get the most out of your battery after awhile of use, make sure that the connector end is clean. For my batteries I clean them at least one every to weeks. Look at the connector end and if you can see any black grim that has built up, its time to clean.

1. Take a push pin and scrape out the 3 air holes that are at the bottom for the connector. That will allow more air to pass through so it won't burn out your carts as fast.

(Warning- doing this will make it seem like you aren't getting as much of a throat it right away because you are use to how it was working so hard before. *Simply place your two finger around the base of the cart when it is connected to the battery until you find good pressure in you hit.* *Doing that trick will reduce the cartridge life faster but it might be something to give up for solid hits.*)

2. The connector is two parts. Part one is the piece that connects to the charger and the carts to give them power. Part two is the surrounding part with the 3 holes in it that the cart screws into.

Now in between those parts are an open space that a lot junk can build up. To fix this and to prevent future issue- Take a push pin with a long pin part, make sure its not to thick and place it between the two parts. You will have to find the right angle to move smoothly and not move parts to much around. Usually if you lean it back away from the direction that your pushing works best.

(Warning- Only do this if there is a lot of build up because sticking anything into the battery and scraping around can always mess it up. Just use common sense and be careful. If its not going smoothly just stop.)

3. If you have had your battery for a long time- chances are the the connector top is getting a little worn down. A simple fix for this is to take really fine grain sand paper and scape off the grim and expose the metal again. Make sure when you do this not to scrape it to much and to hold the battery so the LED end is pointing straight up, not to get sandpaper bits in the battery.

Then just blow on the connector end to get any sandpaper or grimy bits out. A can of compress air used for keyboard cleaning works really well.

*These are just homebrew quick fixes and I am not responsible for anything you do. Just be safe (don't use knives), smart, and use common sense and it will work great.

Hey Max... thanks for the tips!
dohsma

Postby keelalagirl » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:43 pm

For those visual learners....here is a GREAT vid on Batt cleaning!!!

[video=youtube;e8rs4lQs1A4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8rs4lQs1A4[/video]

How to Clean Vapor4Life Batteries and Passthroughs - YouTube
keelalagirl

Postby bjfgator » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:15 pm

That is an awesome video for newbies! With proper care, what is the life expectancy of a battery? We have three each 2 xls (one manual and one auto) and a diamond auto each. We also have a pt. We alternate between the three regular batteries mostly.
[size=134][size=84]
Go Gators!
[/size][/size]
bjfgator

Postby Morandir835 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Ms. Bjfgator if you don't deep cycle a battery and use a slim line charger, you can get 300+ charges out of a king diamond batt before performance drop off. Have some exact numbers over in the test info thread. :)
"I know that I am hard to love, I know that I ask for far too much, but we get what we ask for sometimes, and sometimes we miss the mark. We miss the mark..."- ilyAIMY "the MARC"
Morandir835

Postby LadyStrick9 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Morandir835 wrote:Ms. Bjfgator if you don't deep cycle a battery and use a slim line charger, you can get 300+ charges out of a king diamond batt before performance drop off. Have some exact numbers over in the test info thread. :)

Morandir, I took your advice and ordered the slim charger. It's the only one I'm using now, just so I can be sure I don't over charge one. Thanks for that advice...made all the difference for me.

L
[color="#000000"]"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'Woo Hoo! What a Ride!'"[/color]
LadyStrick9

Postby Morandir835 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:47 pm

No problem Ms. LS9. :)
"I know that I am hard to love, I know that I ask for far too much, but we get what we ask for sometimes, and sometimes we miss the mark. We miss the mark..."- ilyAIMY "the MARC"
Morandir835

Return to Hardware