Battery and Charger questions.

Discussion of all V4L hardware including Batteries, Passthroughs, Chargers, etc.

Battery and Charger questions.

Postby bjfgator » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:26 pm

I've been reading the battery threads and I think I understand the "technoese" but I just want some verification on the following statements. I am not sure if I got these all correct. Please help.
1. It is not good to run your batteries all the way down before you recharge them.
2. It is ok to recharge them daily to keep them at peak performance and you should be able to recharge them about 240 times or so.
3. It is ok to leave them overnight on the wall charger.
4. It is NOT ok to leave them overnight on the USB charger.
5. It is easier to mess up an auto with juice than with a manual.

Some questions I couldn't find answers to:
6. Do batteries lose power if not used? (We have three each and I try to use each one of them every day)
7. About how long does it take to charge an xl diamond manual or xl battery on the standard wall charger? (came with kit)
8. How long should it take to charge an xl diamond or xl battery on the USB charger? (came with kit)
9. Is it bad to take it back off the USB charger after a couple hours and use it even if the light didn't turn blue? off the wall charger if not green?

Inquiring minds want to know......
[size=134][size=84]
Go Gators!
[/size][/size]
bjfgator

Postby HarmonyPB » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:07 pm

I am also no expert, but I can try to answer a couple of these:
1. Correct
2. Correct
3. I guess it's ok, but still not good.
4. Correct
5. Correct
6. As far as I know, no. Unless they are auto firing. Autos have been known to fire at noise, wind and vibration. Manuals can have their button pushed accidently by things.

7. No idea
8. Again, no idea :)
9. That's a good question. I do that sometimes. I hope it's not bad!!

Waiting on the real experts...
HarmonyPB

Postby bjfgator » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:15 pm

HarmonyPB wrote:I am also no expert, but I can try to answer a couple of these:
1. Correct
2. Correct
3. I guess it's ok, but still not good.
4. Correct
5. Correct
6. As far as I know, no. Unless they are auto firing. Autos have been known to fire at noise, wind and vibration. Manuals can have their button pushed accidently by things.

7. No idea
8. Again, no idea :)
9. That's a good question. I do that sometimes. I hope it's not bad!!

Waiting on the real experts...

Maybe the [color="#FF0000"]Great Wizard Mr. M[/color] :hail: :hail: :hail: will grace us with his presence.... we might have to bring him the witch's broomstick or something...
[size=134][size=84]
Go Gators!
[/size][/size]
bjfgator

Postby Morandir835 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:58 am

Ms. Bjfgator lets see-

6- Yes they do. How much depends on how long you stored them. A few days you'll notice very minimal power loss (like maybe .01v). Longer than a few weeks, you'll notice a more signficant loss of power. When storing long term it's always suggested to get them around 40% power before hand. You can harm a batt storing at full charge for long periods.
7- Xl kd autos took 171 minutes to charge on a wall charger in my tests. Have never charged an XL manual on the wall charger, will do to give you an idea tomorrow.
8- Xl kd auto took 168 minutes in my testing, again never used a king diamond manual xl on the usb. I can for you, but just this once. :)
9- That doesn't harm the batts in the same way that running them til death does. It won't give you peak performance or run time, but as long as they were charged to around 85% capacity no real damage done.
"I know that I am hard to love, I know that I ask for far too much, but we get what we ask for sometimes, and sometimes we miss the mark. We miss the mark..."- ilyAIMY "the MARC"
Morandir835

Postby bjfgator » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:26 am

Morandir... question 3. Is it a problem? What is the damage?

How much quicker is the slim charger?
I have had one on the usb for 3 hours. The light doesn't turn back to blue but it start blinking from red to blue and I take it off hoping it's done. Not sure if it is but it worried me.
[size=134][size=84]
Go Gators!
[/size][/size]
bjfgator

Postby LadyStrick9 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi Gator, I'm not giving you Morandir's expert advice, but I use the XL's, and Diamond XL's and it takes a good 2 to 3 hours or more to charge mine. But during that time, they're not blinking. So, that's unusual. And, I'm using the slim charger ONLY right now. But, I am going to have to order another one cause we have too many batts. Morandir had commented that it was the safest charger Vapor4Life has....so, I'm such an airhead at forgetting things, I decided to stick with that option.

Good luck.

Lady
[color="#000000"]"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'Woo Hoo! What a Ride!'"[/color]
LadyStrick9

Postby HarmonyPB » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:55 pm

bjfgator wrote:Morandir... question 3. Is it a problem? What is the damage?

How much quicker is the slim charger?
I have had one on the usb for 3 hours. The light doesn't turn back to blue but it start blinking from red to blue and I take it off hoping it's done. Not sure if it is but it worried me.

Just a note, when the USB charger starts flashing that means it's alomst finished charging. It's not fully charged until the light is a solid blue.
HarmonyPB

Postby bjfgator » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:27 pm

HarmonyPB wrote:Just a note, when the USB charger starts flashing that means it's alomst finished charging. It's not fully charged until the light is a solid blue.

How long does the flashing go on? It seemed it went on for at least 5 minutes before I took it off.
[size=134][size=84]
Go Gators!
[/size][/size]
bjfgator

Postby Morandir835 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:27 pm

Ms. Bjfgator you can use the wall charger for overnight charging without issue on all but the king diamond manuals. Really leary of leaving those batteries on any charger save for the slim line for extended period of time. As for charging times, just so happen to have done that test back in july. Here you go :) -

Well, results are in everyone. Did this test using king diamond batts, one shorty, one regular, one xl. Watched the chargers as best as I could to get the most accurate times possible. Had them by me constantly watching for light changes.

Shorty charge times:

USB- 78min
Old School (OS) wall charger- 83min
Slim Line (SL) wall charger- 67min

Regular:

USB- 123min
OS- 126min
SL- 97min

XL:

USB- 168min
OS- 171min
SL- 139min

Roughly 19-21% faster overall than the old chargers. What I found odd was even with it having a lower mah output, they still delivered the promised 20% gain.

The last part of it no longer applies, they released the black version (can anyone tell that's my favorite color?) and they are pretty much a requirement for the new batts.
"I know that I am hard to love, I know that I ask for far too much, but we get what we ask for sometimes, and sometimes we miss the mark. We miss the mark..."- ilyAIMY "the MARC"
Morandir835

Postby LadyStrick9 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Very helpful, Morandir. Thanks.

Lady
[color="#000000"]"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'Woo Hoo! What a Ride!'"[/color]
LadyStrick9

Next

Return to Hardware