Smilomizers.. Really ??.

Discussion about V4L's signature Wow Cart and Cool Cart lines of cartomizers.

Smilomizers.. Really ??.

Postby dg1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:29 pm

Looking for some realistic input on this issue.. I have been through no less than 8-10 smilomizers in the past
30 days or so. At first was with heavy VG juice, and took the forums advice and switched to heavy PG. Using
a medium color tobacco flavor I have not had one last for more than 3 days. Filled all with 3 ml to start,
topped off as needed, moderate vaping @ 4.2 volts on a DAV. Unless all where duds, I can not see how its possible to get the claimed 12 refills from them. Looking for input from people who use them as their all day
vape (i'm sure they last a long time if you barley use them, or are supplementing with tanks etc..) The liquid I've used has been from a couple of manufacturers so its not inherent to one. So lets hear from people who use them constantly so we can establish not only what works and what doesn't , but more importantly what we can realistically expect so we can weigh the value. After all, if I accept the advertised claim of 12 refills,
I would have to accept the 5 hour charge time for the small DAV"s as the 9th hour of charging approaches...
dg1

Postby CrueLworLD » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:47 pm

dg1, what exactly happens to your smileomizers? Does the coil give out? Do they get clogged? Do they end up giving you a burnt taste? I use smileos all day on certain days. I switch it up, one day I use tanks all day, the next clearos, next smileos ect. Honestly, I haven't thrown away a single smileo yet. I refill until they taste funky or the draw becomes tight. Then I clean them, dry, then re-use.
CrueLworLD

Postby dg1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:55 am

CrueLworLD, They perform the same as any standard cartomizer I've used. 1-2 Days of good performance followed by a quick diminishing. The smilomizer will begin getting overly warm as you vape, followed by a tightening of the draw. Of the 2 I've cleaned, it will produce a extra day or so of reduced performance vaping. After dismantling 2 units, I have found a
hot spot approximately mid point on the air tube that actually burns the inside of the tube. While not unexpected since this is on par with most cartomizers, one would not expect to refill a standard cart 12 times (hence the low cost). Don't get me wrong, I like the design of the smilomizer, and might be able to justify the price if it delivered as advertised. It seems that if it uses the standard poly fill, coil system etc.., I fail to see how it can perform 3-4 times the lifespan just because it holds more liquid. I use it as my all day, everyday tape for the past couple of weeks with the same results. Now, if there is something I'm missing, great, but if not, I would love to see honest statements of use for the product descriptions. This is also the case for the charging / use times of the DAV'S ,which everyone seems to agree with yet they are advertised with much more favorable ratings than anyone could be experiencing.
dg1

Postby endemic » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:23 am

dg1 wrote:CrueLworLD, They perform the same as any standard cartomizer I've used. 1-2 Days of good performance followed by a quick diminishing. The smilomizer will begin getting overly warm as you vape, followed by a tightening of the draw. Of the 2 I've cleaned, it will produce a extra day or so of reduced performance vaping. After dismantling 2 units, I have found a
hot spot approximately mid point on the air tube that actually burns the inside of the tube. While not unexpected since this is on par with most cartomizers, one would not expect to refill a standard cart 12 times (hence the low cost). Don't get me wrong, I like the design of the smilomizer, and might be able to justify the price if it delivered as advertised. It seems that if it uses the standard poly fill, coil system etc.., I fail to see how it can perform 3-4 times the lifespan just because it holds more liquid. I use it as my all day, everyday tape for the past couple of weeks with the same results. Now, if there is something I'm missing, great, but if not, I would love to see honest statements of use for the product descriptions. This is also the case for the charging / use times of the DAV'S ,which everyone seems to agree with yet they are advertised with much more favorable ratings than anyone could be experiencing.

With due respect, I don't think that is entirely fair. It's very common for any company to advertise the best case scenario - compare it with the battery lifetimes for anything from a smart phone to a tablet. Point being they list the optimistic outlook as the sell point. I don't think I've ever had any of those electronic devices meet the listed battery life, but I accept that I'm kind of a power user - other people do get the more optimistic result.

In regards to the smileo, I'd say they meet the advertised points in many cases, just not for everyone. There is so much that can vary depending on the type of liquid, usage patterns, etc. I could be incorrect but it sounds to me that you may be vaping heavily for extended durations without giving the carto (smileo, tank, etc) time to recover. They need a break when used heavily to allow the liquid to flow via capillary action and replace what has been vaporized. In my experience, this quickly kills just about anything out there whether it be a standard carto, tank carto, smileomizer, etc. You might try swapping out during heavy vaping to avoid that scenario - it's what I've learned to do when I'm really vaping heavily (if I don't, I usually burn the thing out).

Constructive criticism is usually a good thing, it is how products are improved and it really seems to me that Vapor4Life cares and listens to feedback from us. However, I would propose that it is rather harsh to insinuate that they are being deceptive. I can understand being frustrated, but if you look in the forums here there are plenty of us who are actually quite pleased with the lifetimes of the smileomizers.

Take it as you will, just my opinion on the matter, and certainly hope you take no offense.
endemic

Postby MysticOne » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:30 am

Well said endemic! Vaping habits are unpredictable, so advertised rates are usually at optimal usage. If you are a very heavy chain vaper, your mileage may vary. I have been pleasantly surprised at how long my smileomizers have lasted, considering I use Cinnablaze, which is known to be a cart killer. However, I do rotate my batteries and smileomizers constantly so that I do not overstress and overheat them as I do tend to chain vape. I found this out with tanks, if I vaped on them to heavily for too long, they would get overly warm and start to leak. So I just keep several with me at all times (on different batteries, but you could just switch out the tanks, but that would be a pain). Problem was solved with the leaky tanks in this manner. I assume it is also the reason that I haven't killed a smileomizer as of yet, either. I know that day is soon coming, but all in all, I feel it was a good investment.
Proud Member: eGo-Maniac Club :vape: Shy Member: Zeus-Maniac Club :o

"Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how you dance in the rain." Enjoy life now--it has an expiration date!!!
MysticOne

Postby Nailz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:02 am

I also use clearo's and pay around $3 a piece for them, they are 1.3ml size, just bought a 5 pack of smileo's for around $5 a piece, so $2 a piece more, but the smileo's hold 3.5mls, so worth it for me to start with, but also I won a free smileo about a month ago and it is still going strong, I have not cleaned it and run about 30 mls of licorice juice through it, and still working as good as the day I got it, where the clearo's I bought around the same time are drying like flies, so the smileo is out lasting my clearo's.

I admit I have not tried cleaning a smileo yet and I am nervous of doing that, so will only use them on flavors I know I want to use often, so I still use my clearo's for testing new juices and juices that I only vapor a little on, I know with a clearo, I can easily clean them.
[CENTER][color="#0000FF"]:vapor: IT'S BETTER TO VAPE AND ROCK, THAN TO BE DEAD BEFORE YOUR TIME :vapor:[/color]
[/CENTER]
Nailz

Postby dg1 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:19 am

endemic wrote:With due respect, I don't think that is entirely fair. It's very common for any company to advertise the best case scenario - compare it with the battery lifetimes for anything from a smart phone to a tablet. Point being they list the optimistic outlook as the sell point. I don't think I've ever had any of those electronic devices meet the listed battery life, but I accept that I'm kind of a power user - other people do get the more optimistic result.

In regards to the smileo, I'd say they meet the advertised points in many cases, just not for everyone. There is so much that can vary depending on the type of liquid, usage patterns, etc. I could be incorrect but it sounds to me that you may be vaping heavily for extended durations without giving the carto (smileo, tank, etc) time to recover. They need a break when used heavily to allow the liquid to flow via capillary action and replace what has been vaporized. In my experience, this quickly kills just about anything out there whether it be a standard carto, tank carto, smileomizer, etc. You might try swapping out during heavy vaping to avoid that scenario - it's what I've learned to do when I'm really vaping heavily (if I don't, I usually burn the thing out).

Constructive criticism is usually a good thing, it is how products are improved and it really seems to me that Vapor4Life cares and listens to feedback from us. However, I would propose that it is rather harsh to insinuate that they are being deceptive. I can understand being frustrated, but if you look in the forums here there are plenty of us who are actually quite pleased with the lifetimes of the smileomizers.

Take it as you will, just my opinion on the matter, and certainly hope you take no offense.

Endemic, with all due respect, my comments are not meant to be harsh but rather direct. I agree constructive criticism is a way to help companies improve but this is not limited only to the physical product they sell, it is also in the marketing of the product . They as a company, and we as forum members, also have a responsibility to have a open honest discussion for those who may be new to the vaping community.

As for my observations:

The DAV's which I have (after @ least 10 Charging cycles)
Small - 8-9.5 hours to charge from blink to full charge
Medium- 12-14 hours

Claim on website "Charge time 5-8 Hrs"

I know Vapor4Life is working on this issue, and I'm sure most DAV users will agree with my findings , so am I wrong to bring attention to the fact ?

As for the smilomizers, users posting on the forum suggesting "going strong" for a month, are less than accurate in terms of normal use of the product. Using a smilomizer as a "in the mix" device, or 1ml a day, does not provide the same performance feedback as using it in a stand alone scenario . I would appreciate senior members trying to use the product solely for an extended period so we can weigh both the positives, negatives and variables which effect performance. I am a fan of the smilomizer in terms of fit and finish, and if the performance (IMO) Matched the statements @ the price point, I would be satisfied. I have made a suggestion on a way to lower the cost and we will see if that plays out. In the mean time I look forward to a open realistic discussion of true performance on the Vapor4Life products.
dg1

Postby CrueLworLD » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:55 pm

I believe we were being open and honest. Yes, the dav charge time is pretty long on a blinked out battery. My XL can take up to 16 hours on a slim line. You'll notice that people on the forums openly admit the long charge time. Which is why most buy multiple dav's. The store does say they will charge quicker, don't know what the heck kind of charger they're using. :)
With the smileos.. I should have mentioned my vaping style. I generally never chain vape. I pick it up, take a pull or two, then set it down for a few minutes. The very first smileo I bought is still in use today. I am guessing I've put at least 25-30ml of tobacco flavored e-liquid through it. I have cleaned it once by soaking in everclear for 8 hours, then rinsing with water using the turkey baster method. That smileo is still producing excellent vapor, but taste has diminished and the draw is a bit tight. I'm going to try to soak in everclear longer next wash to see if that helps. If not, it's garbage. No big deal, it has exceeded my expectations. It sounds to me that you may chain vape with your smileos. That may eventually cause the burn hole. I honestly have no clue... I do know you should get more than 3 days of use with one though. As you see the majority around here do.
CrueLworLD

Postby Darin McFarland » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:25 pm

I would consider myself a moderately heavy vaper. I go through 12mils + per day. 7 of those mils are in smileos. I spend a significant amount of time in the truck traveling from job to job and while in the truck I use my Zeus in PT mode with my Smileo. I vape Cinablaze and Peppermint exclusively. I received two Smileos with my Zeus kit in February, and I still use one of the original Smileos which came with the kit. My other Smileos have lasted no less than 6 weeks or more. My general routine is to vape one Smileo for 4 fills then clean with near-boiling water, then spin dry followed by a day's air-drying. I have had noting but good results with my Smileos, and they have exceeded all advertised performance, as well as my personal expectations (which are quite high)

I am sorry to hear you are having issue, and after reading your posts I can't think of any further advice to give. It seems you are doing everything right...

Good luck.

Happy Vaping!!
I put my name to everything I say and do. The Buck Stops Here.
Darin McFarland

Postby endemic » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:00 am

dg1 wrote:As for the smilomizers, users posting on the forum suggesting "going strong" for a month, are less than accurate in terms of normal use of the product. Using a smilomizer as a "in the mix" device, or 1ml a day, does not provide the same performance feedback as using it in a stand alone scenario . I would appreciate senior members trying to use the product solely for an extended period so we can weigh both the positives, negatives and variables which effect performance.

No worries, perhaps I mistook direct as harsh - it just came across as overtly aggressive and hostile to me. I felt I needed to state my own positive experience for the sake of being fair to the record, or as you say an honest assessment of the product from my point of view.

I have to disagree with your statement about users posting month long lifetimes must be abnormal somehow. I am not the heaviest vaper in these forums, but I do go through much much more than 1ml a day. It's more like 5-10ml or so per unit in a day depending, not uncommonly I've found myself going through over half a bottle on days when I'm feeling particularly prone to extended use.

As a result I generally have to fill multiple units to have on hand, as I said I've learned that I have to rotate them a bit or heavy constant use without a recovery period results in burned units and wasted dollars. I suppose that's why I have a shelf of some two and a half dozen bottles of liquid at any given time and order supplies once a month. Granted, I have only seven months of vaping with Vapor4Life under my belt, but I feel that is plenty long enough to establish a good judge of the equipments characteristics.

I've not had to replace a smileomizer yet (with cleaning), though the tips become a bit worn I haven't bit through or anything like some others have experienced. You are asking for 'realistic' feedback, and that's all I'm trying to give you, though it seems to be a generally more positive experience compared to yours. Though there is always room to improve, on most anything.
endemic

Next

Return to Cartomizers