Burned my teeth!

Discussion about V4L's signature Wow Cart and Cool Cart lines of cartomizers.

Burned my teeth!

Postby Orion » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:52 pm

I just got my kit a few minutes ago, I have the auto batteries charging, so I plugged the manual passthrough into my computer and put one of the carts on... says wow peach cobbler. I tried it, and it was way hotter than I expected, made my front teeth hurt. I'm being a bit more careful now, but I was not expecting that at all.

Did I do something wrong?
Orion

Postby Amraann » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:56 pm

I have never had that happen... Do not quote me on this but some USB's have a higher volt or mah or something I think..
Maybe that was it?
Amraann

Postby StephanieT » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:21 pm

I would suggest not plugging it into your computer. You run the risk of damaging your computer that way. They are recommended to be used with an adapter. Not sure if that is the reason it was so hot or not. Someone may know the answer to that.
StephanieT

Postby Natevape » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:22 pm

Your title definitely piqued my interest as I have heard the phrases "I burned my tongue" and "I burned the roof of my mouth".... I have never heard the phrase "I burned my teeth". I had to laugh, but I am guessing you found no humor in it.

I have used the passthrough on my computer USB port before (not knowing it wasn't recommended) and never had that problem, either. I thought all USB ports had a max output of 5V which would be the same as the Zeus. I would take StephanieT's advice and get the wall adapter as it will regulate the voltage to 5V (i think max 5.1).

Do you have sensitive teeth or was this the first time you have experienced this kind of unpleasantness?
Natevape

Postby Morandir835 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Orion sir have burnt my lip a few times using a wow carto and the passthrough in my car. Why it's always suggested to use a plastic drip tip with that set up, you're running at 5v volts on the pt compared to the ~4v on the regular batteries. Wow cartos can come in as low as 2.0ohms which is 12.5 watts. Can get the metal carto quite hot.

As for why you shouldn't use a pt on a computer (not the Zeus, but a straight pt) isn't the voltage but the amperage. Standard USB 2.0 ports are rated for 500ma (which is why the Zeus doesn't count, that's all it's charger pulls when using it as a passthrough), USB 3.0 900mah. There are some that run higher (have a 2a port on my computer) but still it's not worth the risk using a pt on it. You need at least 2 amps to run a wow carto on a pt. One of three things can/will happen from running it on your comp-

1.- Port will only put out whatever amp limit it's rated for severely limiting the performance
2.- You can burn out the port
3.- You can kill the motherboard and/or fry the power supply

Better to by an adapter rated for 5v/2a.
"I know that I am hard to love, I know that I ask for far too much, but we get what we ask for sometimes, and sometimes we miss the mark. We miss the mark..."- ilyAIMY "the MARC"
Morandir835

Postby mbottema » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:46 pm

I have used an iPad USB power adapter because it's is rated the same 5v-2a with a passthrough and it works good. I've never used it on a computer. The iPhone is only 5v-1a.
I do notice the car adapter (also at 2a) infers with the radio when I draw.
I never burned my teeth or mouth, but some carts I used in the past did get hot.
mbottema

Postby HarmonyPB » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:27 am

+1 to what Morandir said. I never liked the Wow cartos on my PT. They were just too hot. I preferred the Cool cartos and once I tried a drip tip I never could go back to using cartos without them!
HarmonyPB

Postby Orion » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:18 pm

[quote="Natevape"][/QUOTE]

It was like biting into ice cream, only hot. Hasn't happened again, I think I may have accidentally sucked it directly against my teeth. Once I burn through (haha) my wows, I'm sticking with coolcarts. It's pretty funny now, though, but it was definitely a shock when it happened.

I didn't know it wasn't supposed to be used with a computer. Hmm. It seems to be running perfectly fine now, but I'll check the wattage or whatever. What about a car? I have a phone charger that has a usb port in it.
Orion

Postby Morandir835 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Car is fine Orion, just be sure the adapter is rated for 5v/2a.
"I know that I am hard to love, I know that I ask for far too much, but we get what we ask for sometimes, and sometimes we miss the mark. We miss the mark..."- ilyAIMY "the MARC"
Morandir835

Return to Cartomizers